|Use this page to maintain syllabus information, learning objectives, required materials, and technical requirements for the course.|
|CS 120 - Concepts of Computing: Information Processing|
Learning Objectives: Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of computer hardware by being able to: Identify types of computer hardware, how they process information and how individual computers interact with other computing systems and devices; Identify the function of computer hardware components; Identify the factors that go into an individual or organizational decision on purchasing computer equipment; Identify how to maintain computer equipment and solve common problems relating to computer hardware.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of computer software by being able to: Identify how software and hardware work together to perform computing tasks and how software is developed and upgraded; Identify different types of software, general concepts relating to software categories, and the tasks to which each type of software is most suited or not suited; Identify fundamental concepts relating to database applications.
3. Demonstrate the ability to use an operating system by being able to: Identify what an operating system is, how it works, and solve common problems related to operating systems; Manipulate and manage the Windows desktop files and disks; Identify how to change system settings install and remove software.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of software application functions by being able to: Start and exit a Windows application and utilize sources of online help; Identify common onscreen elements of Windows applications change application settings and manage files within an application; Perform common editing, formatting and printing functions.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of word processing functions by being able to: Format text and documents including the ability to use automatic formatting tools; Insert, edit and format tables in a document.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of spreadsheet functions by being able to: Modify worksheet data, structure and formatting; Sort data; Manipulate data using formulas and functions; Add and modify charts in a worksheet.
7. Demonstrate an understanding of database software by being able to create and manipulate database tables, data-entry screens, reports, and queries.
8. Demonstrate an understanding of presentation software by being able to create and format simple presentations.
9. Demonstrate an understanding of Networks by being able to: Identify network fundamentals and the benefits and risks in network computing; Identify the relationship between computer networks, other communications networks (like the telephone network) and the internet.
|Return to Previous||New Search|